Best SEO Practices: Title Optimization
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is using keywords to optimize your website and improve your ranking on Google. In simpler words, Google bots scour the internet looking for relevant content every time a Google search is made. They look for quality, easy to understand content that uses the keywords when ranking the results.
Benefits of SEO
More than 3.5 billion Google searches are made every day. By improving your ranking on Google, you can increase your brand visibility by over 100%. Other benefits of SEO include:
- It helps generate leads
- It improves conversion
- It helps bypass competitions
The first thing Google bots look at when finding relevant content is your page title. The page title is also the first thing readers see when going through their Google search results. Optimize your page title by doing the following:
Keep your title short.
Google only displays the first 60 characters of your page title. Keep your title short to ensure it doesn’t get cut off in the search results as people are less likely to click through if they can’t read the entire title. Below is an example of a good and bad page title.
The top one is 60 characters which makes it easy to read without clicking on the link. I know if I click on the first link, I’ll learn 12 calligraphy tips for beginners. The bottom link, however, is more than 60 characters and difficult to read without clicking through. I don’t know the article will teach me calligraphy and hand lettering until I click on the link or read the meta description.
Including keywords in your page title also helps with SEO. Make sure you only include the most relevant keywords in your title because adding too many keywords can be counterproductive. Include Keywords at the beginning of your title adds a secondary benefit; users can know what your webpage content by looking at their toolbar.
Include your Brand Name
Including your brand name in your page title helps build brand awareness and brand reliability. Imagine this – you create and upload multiple blogs about calligraphy to your website. Someone reads one of your blogs and really enjoys what you’ve written. Now if they search for anything calligraphy related and see you brand name in the title, they are more likely to click through because they’ve had a positive previous experience.
It’s important to keep in mind the page title cut-off to ensure your brand name doesn’t get cut off in the search results.
Optimize your Meta Description
Although your meta description doesn’t help with SEO, it does help increase your click through rate. Make sure your meta description doesn’t exceed 160 characters, otherwise it won’t show in the search results. Another way to maximize your meta description is including what benefits it has for the readers. An example of this is clothing companies writing “free returns” or a fitness blogger writing “free workout programs”. If you’re still unsure on what to include in your meta description, look at what your competitors are writing for inspiration.
GlobeSign is a Canadian web solutions and digital marketing company helping clients grow their revenues online using our Digital Marketing services including Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media Marketing (SMM), AdWords (i.e., PPC, CPC) and Content Writing. We keep up to date with the latest technology and trends, and we continue to provide best in class digital marketing solutions for our clients in Canada, in the US and Globally.
GlobeSign’s SEO commitment to its clients
GlobeSign has many proven projects in very competitive markets, and we remain committed to providing the results our clients need by ensuring:
- Continuous strategy changes according to the results and google updates —typically, we revisit our SEO plans after every 3 months.
- Partnership with our client where we not only work very closely with our clients, but we also monitor success together.
- GlobeSign also does the website maintenance. This allows our development team to work closely with the Search Engine Optimization team to ensure we make necessary changes to the website on a timely manner.
- Within six months, GlobeSign commits to producing the results in terms of improving keywords ranking, driving website traffic, and fulfilling our committed tasks.
- Continuous commitment towards bringing the website on first page of Google because 98% traffic comes from Google search engine. However, organic SEO takes time and consistent efforts. For the same reason, we revisit our SEO strategy from time to time and make complete analysis regarding what is working and what is not. This helps us increase our ranking and traffic ensuring we meet our keyword ranking targets.